I did a little flower study last week and if you are on any of my other social media sites then you have probably already seen it. In today’s post I’m going to explain the process I took.
Whenever I’m given a bouquet of flowers, like I was two Fridays ago, I have to paint them! Long time followers may remember me mentioning this obsession before. I thought this would be the perfect time to experiment with media.
Through experimentation and lots and lots of painting I have discovered that I really like painting on TerraSkin paper, a brand of paper made entirely of crushed stone. It’s completely smooth, non-porous so no priming needed and it doesn’t bend or buckle like regular paper does. I paint very thinly so I love how there is no other texture than what my brush makes unlike when painting on canvas. The only problem is that stone paper needs to be framed unlike canvas that be put on the wall as is. SO, I conceived the idea of using a very strong adhesive and mounting the stone paper on thick wood panel and it worked like a charm! Now I just need to try this on a much larger scale and see if the adhesive is still just as permanent.
I also experimented with a new colour. I added Viridian Green to a limited palette of Alizarin Crimson and Cadmium Yellow and White. This green is intense, think of the most pine green, almost vibrant Xmas green, right out of the tube. I found It makes a great leaf green and beautiful pinks and purples.